Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral
- Sheffield 26th May 19 - 30th Jun 19
The aim of this qualification is to provide the skills, knowledge and competence required for fitness professionals who wish to provide appropriate training and advice for clients with certain medical conditions.
Sheffield Hallam University (Sheffield)
26 May 2019, 02 Jun 2019, 09 Jun 2019, 23 Jun 2019, 30 Jun 2019
The aim of this qualification is to provide the skills, knowledge and competence required for fitness professionals who wish to provide appropriate training and advice for clients with certain medical conditions. To be eligible for this course, students must have already completed the Level 3 Award in Nutrition for Physical Activity and Level 3 Anatomy & Physiology; the level 3 Certificate and Diploma in Personal Training include both these units so students with either of these qualifications are eligible. For students with a Level 2 Fitness Instructor qualification, contact us to discuss completion of the L3 Nutrition and L3 Anatomy and Physiology Modules.
There is no pre course study required for this course. The Exercise Referral Module course runs over 4 days, usually at the weekend, although we do sometimes offer some midweek courses. Course days run from 9.00-5.00PM and it is essential to attend all of these.
There are number of assessment elements for this course, all of which are incorporated across the 4 days; assessment elements are spread throughout the course rather than all being at the end. There will be some additional work required away from the course to complete some of the assessment tasks. Assessment elements include worksheets, case studies & practical assessments. Please note there is a lot of written work required in order to complete all of the assessment elements.
If successful in all the assessment elements, students will be awarded a YMCA Awards Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral. This qualification allows entry to the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at Level 3 & carries 20 REPs CPD points.
On completion of this course, students are eligible to progress onto other specialised courses at level 4, for example, the Certificate in Weight Management for Individuals with Obesity, Diabetes Mellitus and/or Metabolic Syndrome.
- An overview of risk factors, symptoms & pathopysiology for a range of medical conditions relevant to exercise referral programmes
- An overview of treatments and medications for these conditions
- Goal setting and behaviour change
- Exercise guidelines and considerations for referred clients with these conditions
- Planning, preparing, monitoring and adapting an exercise programme for referred clients
- Instructing referred clients
- The exercise referral process; the roles and responsibilities of the different professionals involved
- Information gathering, risk stratification & record keeping with referred clients